Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My favorite birds

I have several favorite birds. My most favorite is the black-crowned night heron.



This little fella lives in most part of the U.S. except the Rocky Mountains. He lives near ponds and lakes, and eats all sort of bugs and minnows. He's got a snazzy black cap and a red eye. What a handsome guy!

The black crown-ed night heron was probably the first bird that I was able it identify that I had never seen or heard of before. I saw one flying overhead, and grabbed my bird guide. It looked to me like some sort of black and white heron, but I wasn't sure if such a thing existed. Sure enough, it does. I felt so happy to have identified my first bird all by myself. I happened to be on the phone with Micky Hervitz, and I started excitedly talking about how I saw a night heron. Incidentally, I had completely lost my voice the night before from a lot of trying to talk over loud music, and he couldn't understand a word I said.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
We have a black-crowned night heron on the Gowanus Canal! Come canoe with us and maybe you'll get a glimpse!

www.gowanuscanal.org
http://flickr.com/photos/8704376@N05/sets/72157600400884266/