Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Turkey Day

I was apart from my family this Thanksgiving, as they celebrated in the typical somber traditional New England Thanksgiving fashion: they went to a French restaurant on Martha's Vineyard.

My mother called me on Thursday, and mentioned that my brother, who has a true and profound gift for hunting/capturing wildlife (let me be clear - he has never "hunted" a day in his life with a real gun or killed anything. But he can track and catch almost anything. At age 8, he caught a wild rabbit in a net, which if you know how fast rabbits run, is very impressive) was out looking for turkey to photograph.

I've always known there are wild turkeys in Martha's Vineyard, but they always seem up just pop up when you're not looking for them, especially in Felix's Neck, the Audubon reserve there. I doubted Jamie would have any luck if he went out specifically looking for turkeys.

But I can't doubt Jamie Notopoulos's skill. And blind luck, I suppose - he found turkeys blocking traffic by crossing the road in a busy intersection.

My uncle has a song he'd sing every Thanksgiving that goes "Oh, the turkey ran away... before Thanksgiving Day... GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!"

According to another bird watching blogger, there has been a turkey camping out at Battery Park City last week. A DC Birding Blog - "Turkey at the Battery"


Lucky turkeys on Turkey Day. photo by Jamie Notopoulos

2 comments:

terriblist said...

gobble gobble HEy.

ok so this was my t-giving birding experience, as i drunkenly half-described it to you:

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publications/pdfs/wildlife/viewingguide/slp/105Haehnle/index.htm

what is it about audubon reserves & tanksgivz that go together like stuffin and bird meat?

trevor

sara said...

The thought of Jamie Notopoulos stalking turkeys on Martha Vineyard = hilarious.